May

May 25: Msgr. Charles F. Walsh

May 25, 2008

Msgr. Charles F. Walsh

Msgr. Walsh was born on September 3, 1926 in County Galway, Ireland. He attended St. Patrick College, Carlow, Ireland, where he was ordained for the Diocese of Wichita by Bishop Thomas Keogh on June 3, 1951. He was an assistant at St. Patrick Parish, Parson, for eight years, and Blessed Sacrament Parish, Wichita, for three years before serving a one year pastorate at Sacred Heart Parish, Cunningham, and Assumption Parish, Turon. He became assistant chancellor and then chancellor of the diocese in 1963. He was elevated to the rank of monsignor and named rector of the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in 1964, where he remained until 1983. In 1973 he became Vicar General of the Diocese of Wichita. During his years at the chancery he served on many committees and boards including: Committee on Ecumenism, Board of Consultors, Boundary Committee, Liturgical Committee, Diocesan Council of Administration and Presbyteral Council. He became Vicar Forane of the Newton Deanery and pastor of St. John Parish, El Dorado, in 1983 where he served until his retirement 1998. For many years he was the Spiritual Director of the Particular Council of the St. Vincent de Paul Society in Wichita, which was an assignment he had a special fondness for because it was a way to serve the poor and the needy. “Charlie was kind to priests and concerned for their welfare,” Monsignor Gilsenan said. “At the same time he was very loyal to Bishop Maloney and the other bishops here.” (The Catholic Advance, May 30, 2008) Msgr. Walsh was a skilled sailor and had a boat named “Innisfree” which he sailed at Cheney Lake for many years. Msgr. Walsh retired to the Priest Retirement Center in 1998 and lived there, except for the last few months of his life at the Catholic Care Center, until his death on May 25, 2008. Bishop Michael Jackels was principal celebrant and Father Dwight Birket was homilist of the Mass of Christian Burial at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception on May 28, 2008. Msgr. Walsh was buried at Ascension Cemetery in Wichita.