June

June 6: Msgr. Nicholas Cody

 

June 6, 1976

Msgr. Nicholas Cody

Msgr. Cody was born in Jordanstown, Whitehall, Kilkenny, Ireland on July 25, 1895. He studied for the Diocese of Wichita to be with his brother, Msgr. John Cody, who later became a priest of the Dodge City Diocese when the diocese was divided in 1951. After his ordination at Kenrick Seminary in St. Louis on June 9, 1929 he was an assistant at Blessed Sacrament Parish in Wichita for six years. As pastor he was stationed in Seward and Kinsley before Bishop Carroll made him the founding pastor of Holy Savior Parish in Wichita in 1948. In 1957 he became pastor of Blessed Sacrament Parish and in 1961 he was transferred to St. Patrick Parish, both in Wichita. He was named a monsignor on June 9, 1957. From 1970 to 1973 Msgr. Cody was chaplain at St. Joseph Hospital in Wichita where he continued to live in residence until his death on June 6, 1976. Bishop Maloney was the principal celebrant and Bishop Carroll was homilist of his funeral Mass at St. Patrick Parish in Wichita. Msgr. Cody was buried in the Resurrection Mausoleum in Wichita.