July

July 3: Father Irvin F. Lampe

 

July 3, 2010

Father Irvin F. Lampe

Father Irvin F. Lampe was born June 11, 1917, at St. Louis, Mo. He studied at the Pontifical College Josephinum in Columbus, Ohio, and was ordained on May 30, 1943. His first assignment was at St. Patrick Parish in Wichita. In October 1944, Msgr. Lampe became the pastor of Sacred Heart Church in Cunningham. On Aug. 12, 1950, Msgr. Lampe was appointed to St. Michael Parish in Girard. Shortly thereafter he was transferred to St. John Parish, El Dorado. While in El Dorado, he served as the president for the board of St. Joseph’s Home for orphans and oversaw the construction of a new church. In 1964, Msgr. Lampe became the pastor of Holy Cross Parish, Hutchinson, and was also appointed to serve on the diocesan board of education, a position he held for 11 years. In May of 1965, Father Lampe was honored with the title of monsignor. He was then appointed pastor of St. Mary Parish, Newton, where he received the Knight of the Year Award for his 16 years of service to the Newton Knights of Columbus. Msgr. Lampe returned to Girard in 1983. One of his biggest projects after his move there was the rebuilding of St. Aloysius Church in Greenbush, which was struck by lightning and burned to the ground. He retired in 1992 and at the time of his death was the oldest priest in the diocese. He is buried at St. Peter and Paul Cemetery and Mausoleum in St. Louis, Mo.