August

August 18: Father Jeremiah Lenehan

 

August 18, 1933

Father Jeremiah Lenehan

Fr. Lenehan was born in Williamsport, PA on May 1, 1894. He studied at Niagara University, Niagara, NY; St. Bonaventure’s Seminary, Allegheny, NY; and The Catholic Missionary Union, Washington, D.C. Bishop James Quigley ordained him for the Diocese of Wichita at the cathedral in Buffalo, NY on June 10, 1900. After serving at the Pro-Cathedral as an assistant, he was pastor in Dodge City, Chicopee, and Oswego. From 1912 to 1917 Fr. Lenehan was a chaplain in the army and then worked in Pennsylvania until 1922. He returned to the Diocese of Wichita and became pastor at Caldwell where he built a church. He retired to Mt. Carmel Hospital in Pittsburg in 1928 and served as chaplain until his death on August 18, 1933. Following his funeral at Mt. Carmel Hospital, he was buried in Pittsburgh, PA.