Who can be a priest?
The Catholic Diocese of Wichita is looking for celibate, unmarried young men between the ages of 18-35 who are active members of their parishes. Young men who think that they may be called and are willing to give their life in service are encouraged to call Rev. Mike Simone, Director of Vocations at (316) 440-1714 or email wichitavocations@gmail.com.

How long does it take to become a priest?
It can take between six to eight years. All seminarians study four years of theology. Before beginning theological studies, the seminarian must have a bachelors degree and have completed required philosophical studies.

Do you need a college degree before entering seminary?
No, but if you already have a bachelors degree, then you will have to enter a pre-theology program in order to finish the philosophy requirements. If you do not have a bachelors degree, then you can complete one in a college seminary program.

Which Seminaries does the Catholic Diocese of Wichita use?

  • Conception Seminary College, located in Conception, Missouri, is a four year college run by Benedictine monks.
  • Mount Saint Mary's Seminary in Emmitsburg, Maryland is a school of theology used by the diocese.
  • Kenrick / Glennon in St. Louis, Missouri is a school of theology used by the Diocese.
  • Mundelein Seminary in Mundelein, Illinois is a school of theology used by the Diocese.
  • All seminaries grant accredited degrees.  Conception grants a BA in philosophy.  Mount Saint Mary’s and Kenrick - Glennon Seminary grant various graduate degrees.

What can I do to prepare for entering seminary?
You should begin by frequenting the sacraments. Attend Mass as often as possible. Try to develop your prayer life so you can hear where God is calling you. Make use of the sacrament of Reconciliation often. Spend time with our Lord each week in Eucharistic Adoration. Read scripture and reflect upon it. Read spiritual books to guide you. Meet with a priest for spiritual direction to help you in the process of knowing your vocation and God"s will for you.

What type of priest would I be?
You would be a diocesan priest.  Diocesan priests look after the needs of  a local church. They are actively involved in parish communities and lead parishes within a particular diocese. They are stationed within a particular geographic boundary.  In the Diocese of Wichita, our priests serve the southeast 25 counties in Kansas.