Thursday, 14 July 2011 12:46
Here is an update of the work underway at the campus of the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, the mother church of the Diocese of Wichita. For more information visit OurWichitaCathedral.org:
Robl Construction has completed the outer shell of the new Cathedral rectory at 440 N. Topeka Street. Doors and windows have been installed, and interior construction has begun. The four-bedroom house is expected to be complete this fall.
The house will be a home for three priests within walking distance of our Cathedral, St. Joseph Pastoral Center and Chancery offices. A wheelchair-accessible guestroom will also be available to visitors like seminarians, other priests and priests’ family members.
A portion of the unfinished basement will include reinforced storage for parish archival materials as needed.
Social Hall/Former gym
Ventilation ducts for heating and cooling units are being installed for the first time since it was built in 1922. The former gymnasium floor has been removed and new concrete subflooring has been poured. The social hall is expected to be completed this fall and will be used as a worship space during the renovation of our Cathedral church.
Future Gathering Space
The former rectory has been removed. Crews will spend the next few weeks preparing the foundation that will house a new underground, energy-efficient heating and cooling unit to serve the entire campus.
St. Joseph Pastoral Center
The roof has been replaced. Crews have begun demolition on the interior space that will house Catholic Charities, the diocesan office of Hispanic Ministries and parish religious education.
The roof has been replaced. A new ramp entrance is open on the west side of the building with limited handicap accessible parking directly south of the church. Additional parking is available daily at The Lord’s Diner and on the southwest corner of Central and Broadway for weekend Masses.