Priests Retirement and Education Fund
The Wichita Priest Retirement and Education Fund (PREF) was established as a separate corporate entity in 2001. The purpose of PREF is to:
- Pay health care premiums and pension payments to priests no longer in active ministry within the Diocese.
- Provide nursing care to retired priests when services of this type are needed.
- Maintain the Priests Retirement Center where many of the priests no longer in active ministry live.
- Provide for the education of seminarians studying for the priesthood for the Diocese.
- Provide for the ongoing formation and continuing education of the clergy.
Previously, the Catholic Diocese of Wichita was administering these funds. Bringing them together under a separate corporate entity allows a clear focus to their performance. A board of priests oversees the use of the funds and meets on a regular basis to review the operations of PREF. For many people, there has been a priest who has had some influence in their life – a memory on your wedding day, the gentle compassion shown an aging grandparent at their death, a lesson learned during years of a Catholic education or the witness of Christ at each Eucharistic celebration. Please consider a gift to the Priests Retirement and Education Fund. Your gift could change a life – forever.
Contact the Office of Development & Planned Giving at (316) 269-3900 or
to learn how you can make a contribution.